The story starts back in 1999 when Mark Boon, then a partner at a respected UK insurance brokerage, realised that too many creative organizations were buying insurance policies that were the wrong shape, the wrong size and the wrong price.
A musician himself, Mark had carved out a niche insuring music and arts organizations, professional musicians and media companies. Together with colleague Matt Mullee, who worked with affluent individuals insuring high value homes, fine art, antiques and jewelry, he set up La Playa to support clients with truly specialist policies, expert advice and genuinely personal service. It started in Mark's spare room, then upgraded to his barn, moved to the innovation hub of Cambridge Business Park – and then expanded into London and New York. All hotbeds of creativity.
Why ‘La Playa’? It’s Spanish for “The Beach”, of course – and Mark has a passion for all things Spanish (Andalucia is something of a spiritual heartland!). We started at “Silicon Fen” in Waterbeach, Cambridge, and our general philosophy is that life’s a beach!
La Playa is all about relationships - "people like you like us" means we work with people we respect and trust (both clients and insurers); clients self-select and bring their friends - and once they're with us, we tend to stick together. The better we know and understand you, you better we can serve you. One size doesn't fit all in insurance - a little fine tuning can make all the difference: streamlining coverage where you're not really at risk, strengthening coverage where you're exposed, presenting a realistic picture of the risk to the underwriters to achieve the best possible terms. And underwriters trust our in-depth understanding of our clients - they trust us to help you manage that risk well and reward us with great rates.
Anyway, we digress; pretty soon our arts and media clients took us into technology as the digital age took hold, and we brought in experts like Matt Clark, one of the most experienced technology brokers on the International scene, to look after innovators from app developers and social media ninjas to the geniuses who bring us new medical devices like pain-free injections.
In 2010 we became concerned about sparky clients who were starting to work in the USA. They just weren't getting the specialist insurance they needed - so we decided to go with them, providing a bridge to London, the "cradle" of insurance. We opened our New York office just as the frenzy of digital media was taking off on the East Coast, a heady time of VC activity, fast-moving innovation, privacy paranoia and patent wars!
In 2017 we became a registered broker at Lloyd's of London, an elite status which gives us direct access to the world's premier specialist insurance market.
Mark is a change-junkie – so the story develops daily – watch this space!
Richard M, Private Client
You can call us to talk more about your business on +1 646 665 7737
La Playa's Personal Risk Concierge service means advice you can trust - from an expert who understands you:
As an independent broker, we can advise on the best policies available - and on risk management measures including valuations, security, fire prevention and property marking - preserving the value of your property and giving you complete peace of mind. We have access to excellent terms with high net worth insurers including Chubb, Hiscox and Hartford.
What does “Boutique Service” actually mean?
La Playa’s Personal Risk Concierge means:
1. Careful listening to really understand your needs and priorities
2. As much help as you need with completing forms to provide risk information
3. A discreet and complimentary appraisal* of your property to assess the risks and ensure you have the right cover where you need it
4. An independent review of the market - so you don’t have to shop around comparing policies, cover limits, risks covered and smallprint exclusions
5. Careful monitoring of the insurers’ financial strength, claims and customer service
6. An independent recommendation of the best policy for you - and why
7. Specialist policy wordings from underwriters who have demonstrated excellence and deep understanding of your risk exposures. We have analyzed a wide range of policy wordings and have selected only the best for our panel. Our advisors have a deep working knowledge of these policies
8. An intelligently designed portfolio of protection across multiple asset classes and territories
9. Advice on how best to manage your risks - to keep you safe but also to keep insurance costs down
10. A dedicated advisor so you can speak to the same person each time.
11. Expert guidance on valuations, security and risk management, and connecting you with specialist advisers and suppliers
12. Direct phone and email access to your adviser for questions and advice. We aim to pick up calls within 3 rings and to respond to emails within 60 minutes
13. Policy documents emailed to you - no logins and passwords to remember
14. An advocate beside you if you make a claim - thinking laterally to mitigate the impact, making useful connections to get you back up and running, and driving through a swift financial settlement
No call centres
No ‘hold’ music
No hidden fees
*subject to availability with our insurer panel