Good risk management is vital.
Historic buildings are particularly susceptible to fire and theft, but steps can be taken to reduce these risks. Since faulty electrical wiring and appliances cause most fires, an inspection by a suitably qualified registered electrician on a five yearly basis is recommended.
Security measures should be taken to dissuade forced entry, which often leads to arson. However, all loss control provisions must be carefully designed so as not to compromise or damage the historic fabric or integrity of the building.
Vacation Home Security Fears
Security against burglarisation is the number one concern for overseas home owners according to Hiscox – followed by issues with local bureaucracy and damage caused by rental clients. While Hiscox agrees that nearly 25% of claims on overseas property relate to burglarisation, it also highlights the importance of liability coverage against a guest having an accident at the property - which could involve expensive litigation and compensation.
Wherever you choose your vacation home, you need to know your investment is properly protected: local insurance policies may carry exclusions on burglarisation from vacant property or accidental damage, or inadequate personal liability levels; and claims support teams may not always be fluent in English.
La Playa provides full coverage for overseas property – on your existing homeowners policy if you prefer. Without the worries of small-print and language barriers, you can relax and enjoy the sunset with a G&T!
Download: La Playa Private Client Brochure
Richard S, Private Client
You can call us to talk more about your business on +1 646 665 7737
La Playa's Personal Risk Concierge service means advice you can trust - from an expert who understands you:
As an independent broker, we can advise on the best policies available - and on risk management measures including valuations, security, fire prevention and property marking - preserving the value of your property and giving you complete peace of mind. We have access to excellent terms with high net worth insurers including Chubb, Hiscox and Hartford.
What does “Boutique Service” actually mean?
La Playa’s Personal Risk Concierge means:
1. Careful listening to really understand your needs and priorities
2. As much help as you need with completing forms to provide risk information
3. A discreet and complimentary appraisal* of your property to assess the risks and ensure you have the right cover where you need it
4. An independent review of the market - so you don’t have to shop around comparing policies, cover limits, risks covered and smallprint exclusions
5. Careful monitoring of the insurers’ financial strength, claims and customer service
6. An independent recommendation of the best policy for you - and why
7. Specialist policy wordings from underwriters who have demonstrated excellence and deep understanding of your risk exposures. We have analyzed a wide range of policy wordings and have selected only the best for our panel. Our advisors have a deep working knowledge of these policies
8. An intelligently designed portfolio of protection across multiple asset classes and territories
9. Advice on how best to manage your risks - to keep you safe but also to keep insurance costs down
10. A dedicated advisor so you can speak to the same person each time.
11. Expert guidance on valuations, security and risk management, and connecting you with specialist advisers and suppliers
12. Direct phone and email access to your adviser for questions and advice. We aim to pick up calls within 3 rings and to respond to emails within 60 minutes
13. Policy documents emailed to you - no logins and passwords to remember
14. An advocate beside you if you make a claim - thinking laterally to mitigate the impact, making useful connections to get you back up and running, and driving through a swift financial settlement
No call centres
No ‘hold’ music
No hidden fees
*subject to availability with our insurer panel